Highland Park Lodge #1150
Six 33rd degree Scottish Rite Masons, prominent citizens of the Town of Highland Park,
organized Highland Park Lodge No. 1150 with 146 charter members.
The lodge, chartered by The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas on December 8, 1921,
helped make history when it and five other lodges were set to work and new officers
installed on December 30, 1921. Others were Hutchins Lodge No. 1154, Landmark Lodge
No. 1168, R. C. Buckner No. 1176, Gibraltar Lodge No. 1179, and Metropolitan Lodge
No. 1182. On December 7, 1971, the six lodges held a joint Golden Anniversary meeting
at the Scottish Rite Temple, where Highland Park Lodge first met in the Green Room.
Early on, when the lodge attempted to meet closer to Highland Park, it faced an immediate
dilemma: Here was a new lodge with no money, with a three-year lease on a condemned
lodge hall, one that was not masonically sound and with a floor that was to weak to hold
up a crowd. Finally on July 1, 1923, the lodge leased the second floor over the
Highland Park Pharmacy, at Knox and Travis.
This lodge room was designed and built for the lodge by one of its members. It wasn't long
before Highland Park Lodge was known as "The Silk Stocking Lodge." Many members are
listed among the Who's Who of Dallas.
The lodge met at Knox and Travis until August 1975, when the lodge finally owned and
occupied its own building at 6137 Sherry Lane in Preston Center. That property, purchased
in 1971, was sold about 1990. With part of the money the lodge endowed all of its members.
An interesting history sidelight: A lodge brother presented the lodge with a beautiful lot
within the Town of Highland Park. Upon investigation, it was found that the Highland Park
town code would not permit a Masonic lodge to build on the site. The lodge returned the
property to the donor. Later, the Highland Park Town Hall was built on that lot.
The lodge prospered, and, in 1957, membership peaked at 890 members. Today two
distinguished members of Highland Park Lodge have their names on Dallas area lodges:
Thomas B. Hunter in Grand Prairie, and Roy Stanley. Highland Park Lodge supplied
substantial numbers of members to the formation of Hillcrest Lodge, John L. DeGrazier Lodge,
Thomas B. Hunter Lodge and Roy Stanley Lodge.